The onset of a new Era – Co- Working Spaces
“Breakdown walls to breakthrough in businesses.”
People need three types of places to live fulfilled and connected lives. Their first place of private relief being home, their second place for economic engagement being work and their third place, a more formless area used for reaffirming social bonds and community identities.
The need for these three separate spheres defines how human environments are designed at base levels. But, increasing urbanism and mobility is combining these different spaces into one versatile space. The result is a new hybrid building that consists of spaces for living, working, entertainment and socializing, all under the same roof i.e. Co-working spaces, making offices designed in the past centuries outmoded owing to their rigid arrangements and organic layouts.
Accompanying the rise of the modern business community that largely comprises of freelancers, new startups and sole proprietors, co-working spaces are an evolution of the primitive office designs. The number of members using Co-working spaces globally has been gradually increasing year on year since this architectural solution not only resolves the real estate crisis but also leaves the users with several added benefits. Co-working is centered on creating spaces that support the following guidelines:
- A social platform where you can quickly bounce ideas back and forth.
- An environment that encourages social interaction and enhances networking and collaboration opportunities for businesses by working in close proximity to people in other fields that share similar values.
- A new and high quality way of working
- A “fun and social” workplace with the like-minded people.
- Comfortable. Homelike environments as workspaces.
- Affordable working space for start-ups and small businesses.
- Providing necessary tools for diverse professions.
Co-working spaces offer numerous benefits. Among all the benefits that they offer, affordability is something that everyone is always in need of. Some of the other benefits are:
- Increased Job Satisfaction
- Access to innovation and talent
- Supports opportunities for growth
With an increasing number of companies considering to tap into these benefits, it is only a matter of time before co-working spaces becomes an fundamental part of the corporate real estate toolkit.
Although crafting a supportive environment for collaboration and innovative thinking can improve performance, Co-working can expose an organization to numerous risks. Some of the potential challenges faced by Co-working spaces are mentioned below.
- Striking the balance between Collaborative Working and Focused Working
- Stimulating new behaviors
- Security of Confidential Data
However, effective policy frameworks and procedures can help mitigate risks and challenges, while solutions, such as internal collaboration space or innovation hubs, substantially reduce external risks. Co-working is no longer assumed as a modern workplace practice, suitable only for start-ups. More and more companies of different sizes and from different businesses are exploring and reaping the benefits of this collaborative approach.
DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the author’s own.